Bachelor of Science in Nursing or B.Sc Nursing is a 4-year undergraduate course, the minimum eligibility criterion for which is the successful completion of 10+2 level of education in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- B.Sc Nursing admission is based on entrance exams held between April-June, conducted by respective B.Sc. Nursing colleges.
- Top Recruiting Organizations: Apollo Hospitals Enterprises, Fortis Healthcare, Medanta Medicity, Columbia Asia Hospital, Wockhardt Hospitals, Global Hospitals, Max Hospital, Manipal Hospital.
- Top Recruiting Areas: Defense Services, Colleges, Nursing Schools, Hospitals, Health Departments, etc.
Top Job Profiles: Case Manager, Certified Nurse Midwife, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Manager/Administrator, Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Educator, Nurse Practitioner, Staff Nurse
B.Sc. (Nursing): What is it about?
B.Sc Nursing course is broadly based on education within an academic framework specially directed to the development of critical thinking skills, competence and standards required for the practice of professional nursing and midwifery as envisaged in National Health Policy, 2002. Since it involves nursing of the wounded or ill, a lot of sectors require these graduates hence increasing its demand which is only expected to increase in the future as well. In India, the course is registered under and is controlled by the Indian Nursing Council.
B.Sc. (Nursing): Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who wish to pursue a B.Sc Nursing course are required to fulfil the below-mentioned eligibility criteria.
- B.Sc (Basic) – Candidates should pass 10+2 in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and he/she should be medically fit.
- B.Sc (Post-Basic) – Candidates should pass 10+2 in PCB. Those who have passed 10+1 are also eligible for admission. He/She must have obtained a certificate in General Nursing and Midwifery and registered as R.N.R.M (Registered Nurse Registered Midwife) with the State Nurses Registration Council.
- Also, a proof of training by Indian Nursing Council or equivalent is required in the following domain- O.T. Techniques/Ophthalmic Nursing/Leprosy Nursing/TB Nursing/Psychiatric Nursing/Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing/Community Health Nursing/Cancer Nursing/Orthopedic Nursing/B.Sc. (Nursing): Admission Procedure
B.Sc Nursing admission is purely based on entrance exams held in between April-June.
- Candidates can fill the application form in both online and offline mode.
- For filling online, candidates need to go to the administrator website of the concerned entrance exam and fill the requirements.
- After that, a print out of the completed form is to be taken out.
- The print out along with the obligatory documents and DD of specified amount is needed to be sent to the relevant exam body.
- For offline application, candidates need to get the form along with the brochure from the exam conducting body or from the designated centres and can finish the formality.
Following is a list of B.Sc Nursing colleges along with their entrance exams:
- AIIMS – (All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
- B.Sc. Nursing Admission Test
- AFMC Entrance Exam
- Armed Forces Medical College B.Sc Nursing program entrance exam.
- Nitte University Mangalore
- B.Sc Nursing Entrance Exam (NUPMET)
- Banaras Hindu University
- B.Sc (Nursing) Admission Test
- Punjab Para Medical Entrance Test for Admission to B.Sc. Nursing courses
- CMC Ludhiana
Entrance Test for Admission to B.Sc. Nursing courses
B.Sc Nursing entrance exam is of 2-hour duration and comprises objective type questions with 4-5 options. The exam is of 400 marks and students will be provided OMR sheet for marking their answers. There is negative marking for each wrong answer. Questions are asked from PCB and the questions are mainly set in English. The total marks necessary to get admission is dependent on the requirement of the college or university concerned.
B.Sc. (Nursing): Syllabus and Course Description
|Nutrition||Pathology and Genetics|
|Nursing Foundation||Community Health Nursing|
|Psychology||Communication and Educational Technology|
|Introduction to Computer||–|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing||Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing|
|Child Health Nursing||Community Health Nursing|
|Mental Health Nursing||Nursing Research and Statistics|
|Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing||Management of Nursing Services and Education|
B.Sc. (Nursing): Career Prospects
B.Sc Nursing is a job-oriented 4-year course which can be pursued by students who have completed 10+2 with PCB subjects from a recognized board.
- Admission to the same is based on entrance exams like JIPMER, GGSIPU CET, MHT CET to name a few.
- After successful completion of the course, candidates can pursue higher studies in nursing from any of the top colleges like Christian Medical College, Vellore, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune etc.
- B.Sc Nursing program prepares its aspirants to become an exemplary citizen by adhering to a code of ethics and professional conduct at all times in fulfilling personal, social and professional obligations so as to respond to national aspirations.
- These graduate nurses are prepared to work as a care provider, educator, coordinator, advocator, researcher, counselor & administrator etc. in hospitals, nursing homes, defence services, railways and aeronautical zones, industrial houses, factories and various such.
B.Sc. (Nursing) Scope
B.Sc Nursing program allows candidates to further pursue higher studies or opt for a job once it is completed. Aspirants can opt for further education options like M.Sc in the following disciplines:
- M.Sc Biotechnology
- M.Sc Medical Microbiology and Medical Biochemistry
- M.Sc Neuroscience
- M.Sc Nursing
- M.Sc Renal Sciences and Dialysis Technology
- M.Sc. Medical Sociology
- MBA in Pharmaceutical management/Hospital Management
- Post Graduate Program in Public Health Management (PGPPHM)
A person could work in the following profiles after graduating from this course-
- Case Manager
- Certified Nurse Midwife
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Nurse Educator
- Nurse Practitioner
- Staff Nurse
- B.Sc. (Nursing) Top Recruiters
A list of top recruiting companies in India with recruitments in this field are mentioned below.
- Apollo Hospitals Enterprises
- Fortis Healthcare
- Medanta Medicity
- Columbia Asia Hospital
- Wockhardt Hospitals
- Global Hospitals
- Max Hospital
- Manipal Hospital